Thursday, March 12, 2015

Sixpenceee

I found this amazing Tumblr that posts and collects stories and facts that reside in several categories. To name a few: creepy, paranormal, scary stories, and bizarre. I am so thankful to have found this blog, not only because it personally fascinates me, but this website has helped me immensely with inspiration for my film.

Some of the posts help my mind shift into the tone of my film--dark and dramatic. I came across this one post which has a list of creepy short films and that truly helped me create my idea.



This one short film gives a gory twist to a contrasting title, "The Little Mermaid," which in hindsight helped me think of a way to incorporate an innocent fairytale into my film, but twist it into the dark story I wanted to make. Although I am not creating a horror film, I do want to capture a darkness into my film. I did notice the colors in the film-- the red tone to it. I am imagining a bluer tone in my shots and final piece.




This image on the left is the kind of room I am imagining the main character to be crouching in, sitting in the corner. An empty and still room. I would not want the walls to be that color necessarily, I was imagining a white wall, but as I was scrolling through the website my attention was captured by this photo. The darkness, the way I feel slightly uncomfortable looking at the image is the feel I want: dark, dramatic, uncomfortable.





I also came across this now-banned children's show called Mark Twain's Mysterious Strangers. This show is creepy and disturbing in every sense of the word, but it also feeds into my idea of a dark story with an innocent element warped into it that does make the audience uncomfortable. The element of sound added to the disturbing images. In my opinion, the amount of creepiness would subside without the chilling voice. I also plan to use sound to show the main character's inner thoughts and point of view (as the insanity comes from within her mind) as well as hint to the element of Alice in Wonderland and the effect that movie had on her mentally. I am excited to experiment and get creative with the sound for this assignment.

 Sometimes it's the unexpected findings that end up assisting me in building upon my idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment