Friday, March 6, 2015

Finding Inspiration



I create better work when I am motivated to actively do the work, as I am sure is the case with many people. When I feel inspired and passionate about an assignment, my enthusiasm shows in the work. Also, ideas form easier when I am eager about a project. So, naturally, I tried to find inspiration for my short film opening. I turned to a movie I have always been intrigued about ever since I saw it: Girl, Interrupted.

I saw the opening of the film and I was drawn in to certain elements of the scene. I have always been drawn to lighting and shadows created on a subject. I appreciate minimal lighting, where the main feature is the absence of lighting than the opposite. In the scene, people are seen behind doors and only the shapes of human bodies are seen. I thought of the use of shadows to perhaps imply a scene or situation, a concept I may or may not use, but at least I was able to draw out a possible idea. I also noticed the juxtaposition between the calm music in the beginning, implying one tone, and the panic and suffocation of the hospital, inferring another tone to the audience. Those are two concepts that interest me and I might work with. Drawing inspiration and finding a story I am passionate about is key to starting this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment